Institute for Corean-American Studies, Inc.
Thomas J. Byrne
Vice President/Senior Credit Officer
Moody’s Financial Institutions & Sovereign Risk Group
to speak on
The Tension in the Korean Peninsula and South Korea's Economy
The ICAS Lectures
March 18, 2003, 4:30 PM
Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Jon M Huntsman Hall, Room G55
Reception to follow immediately in the Huntsman Program Lounge at 3732 Locust Walk
We are pleased to share with you that Thomas J Byrne will address The Tension in the Korean Peninsula and the South Korea's Economy [The ICAS Lectures No 2003-0318-TJB] in Philadelphia on March 18, 2003.
Thomas J Byrne is a member of Moody’s Sovereign Risk Team where he serves as an expert on the credit worthiness and economic challenges faced by many Asian nations, including Japan, China, Korea, and Thailand. While a Moody’s observer for the fast-changing region since 1997, Tom worked for the previous 12 years at the Institute of International Finance in Washington D.C., spending much of that time as the senior economist in the Asia Department. He also worked in Korea for three years as a US Peace Corps volunteer before returning home to complete an MA degree in International Relations with an emphasis on economics at the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies. Tom has spoken at such organizations as the World Bank, the Center for Strategic and International Studies, the Asia Society, the China Institute, ICAS, the Korea Economic Institute and the Korea Society. His first appearance before the ICAS platform was at the ICAS Fall Symposium 2000 at Capitol Hill, Washington DC.
Tom's topics include the credit worthiness of East Asian sovereigns and Asia’s regional economic and financial challenges. Some of his recent speeches are;
- "Moody’s Perspective on Japan’s Rating Outlook, 2003." Speech made at the Japan National Press Club and Keidanren, Tokyo, January 2003.
- "Moody’s Perspective on Local and Foreign Currency Ratings of the Government of Japan." Remarks made at a hearing held by the Budget and Finance Committee, Japanese Diet, June 2002.
- "Japan’s Sovereign Rating," conferences sponsored by Daiwa Bank, Tokyo, 2001
- "Japan and Credit," conferences sponsored by Nomura Bank in London, Paris and Frankfurt, 2001
- "China’s Capital Markets," testimony at a Congressional hearing of the US-China Commission, Washington, DC, 2001
- "China’s Economic Outlook," a World Bank Seminar, Shanghai, 1999
Council for America My Country (CAMC)
Hana Tour Courtesy Travel Inc
ICAS Liberty Golf Classic Invitational
ICAS Youth Excellence Program
SK Enterprises International Inc
Sports Connection Inc
University of Pennsylvania The Center for East Asian Studies
University of Pennsylvania The Center for Korean Studies
University of Pennsylvania The Huntsman Program in International Studies and Business
University of Pennsylvania The International Relations Program
University of Pennsylvania The Joseph H Lauder Institute of Management and International Studies
University of Pennsylvania The Christopher H Browne Center for International Politics
(list in progress)
Sang Joo Kim / signed
Sr. Fellow & Executive Vice President